So now I have both an FS700 with it’s 7.2v batteries and the F3′s with their 12v batteries I have a real dilemma. I’m putting together shoulder rigs for both cameras and I’m really not sure what batteries to use. I already own a number of V-locks, several Swit S-8U62′s some Sony BP-U60′s and now a few NP-F970′s.
My first thought was to use V-Locks for everything, run the camera and all the extra gear attached to the camera like recorders and EVF’s of a single V-Lock. But, as my regular readers know, I travel a lot and V-locks are bulky, as are the chargers. So my next through was why not use the BP-U60′s and Swit’s to power both the FS700 and F3. This certainly works for the F3 and the D-tap on the Swit’s can power any accessories. To use them on the FS700 will require an external battery plate and an adapter to get from the 14.4v of the EX batteries down to the 7.2v of the FS700. The problem with this is that when I want to “go naked” and use the FS700 without any extras, then I need to also have the standard NP-F970′s. That means taking two lots of batteries and chargers on a shoot.
So, my current thinking is to stick to the batteries designed for each camera. For the FS700 I intend to make an external battery plate that will take an F970 that will then power the camera plus all the various accessories I use. For the F3 I’ll continue to use the Swit batteries with their convenient D-Tap outputs. I’ll probably will keep a couple of V-Lock plates handy for those jobs where I will have a lot of kit on the camera like drama and commercail shoots. It’s not really what I want, I only want to spend money on one battery system, but I can’t see a way to make only one system work the way I need it to.
9 Comments to Battery Dilemma!
Leave a Reply
Most Recent Posts
- Super Slow Motion 480fps Lightning.
- The Grand Canyon, shot with an FS700.
- Canon Launches new C100 AVCHD s35mm camcorder.
- Arizona Storm Shoot Update
- Convergent Design Gemini to Support 4K with the Canon C500.
- What not to pack!
- New Sony NEX-EA50EH shoulder mount 35mm camcorder. Power Zoom lens for FS100 and FS700
- SHort Film/Documentary Workshop in Arizona.
- A to Z Index
- Alister's Bio and Info
- Alister's Blog
- Alister’s Bio and Info
- Alister’s Blog
- Camera Setup
- Contact Me
- Documentary Production Workshops
- Example Video Clips
- How To Videos
- Northern Lights Live 2012
- Once in a Lifetime Northern lights Expeditions to Norway.
- Picture Profile Guide.
- Adaptimax Lens Adapters for PMW-F3
- Alister’s Equipment Reviews A to Z.
- Alphatron EVF-035W Viewfinder Video Review.
- Atomos Samurai
- Camrade cb-single-iii camera bag.
- CamRade WS PMW F3 Rain Cover Review.
- Cineroid HDSDI EVF (EVF-4MSS) review.
- Juice Designs EX1R Baseplate.
- Manfrotto 509 Tripod Head
- NEX-FS700 In Depth Review.
- Review of the Sony PMW-200
- Sonnet QIO Review. Very, Very, Fast Offloads.
- Sonnet SDHC to SxS Camera Adapter.
- Sony FS100 and F3 Video Review
- Sony PVM-740 OLED monitor
- Tilta BS-TS03 Shoulder Mount Review
- Today3D FIZ controller. Focus, Zoom, Iris, Interaxial.
- Transvideo PMW-F3 replacement base assembly.
- Triad PL to E-Mount adapter.
- TVLogic WFM-056WP Monitor/Viewfinder
- Vinten 100 Tripod Review
- Shooting Tips
- Short Film Workshop
- Tech Notes.
- Training and Expeditions
- Ultimate Documentary Production Workshop
- Video Reviews
- Workshops and Training
- alisterchapman on 50 Megabits for the masses, the new Sony PMW-200.
- alisterchapman on The Grand Canyon, shot with an FS700.
- alisterchapman on Alphatron EVF-035W Video Review.
- alisterchapman on Uncompressed 240 fps possible with FS700 and Convergent Design Gemini. Tested!
- alisterchapman on Adaptimax Lens Mount Adapters for PMW-F3, Canon and Nikon.