I’ve just returned from a shoot for the Ducati Moto GP team at the Jerez race circuit in Spain. I was shooting in 3D using a pair of F3′s on a Hurricane Rig while other crews shot on Alexa’s, F3′s and C300′s. It was really interesting to see all 3 cameras in use. Each showed strengths and weaknesses, but all produced good looking images. The Alexa is a fantastic camera and produces great images, but it’s big and heavy. Add a big optimo zoom or similar and it really becomes quite a beast to use. The camera operator shooting on the Alexa was nowhere near as mobile as the other crews. For him an assistant was essential to help with the suitably large tripod, large batteries and frequent media changes. So, great pictures but fewer set-ups with the Alexa.
The C300′s and F3′s offered much better portability. There were quite a few gripes about the C300′s ergonomics (in particular the need to use the menus to change basic settings) and the usual problems with the F3′s EVF. The F3′s S-Log appeared to offers better dynamic range than the Canons C-Log, but the canon operators found it easier to expose the C-Log. I guess that’s because the C-Log mid range is much closer to a standard gamma and the extra chroma makes the image more pleasing prior to grading. The F3′s were being used with Nikon fit lenses and the C300′s with Canon DSLR lenses, so anyone swapping between cameras had to deal with opposing focus directions! The biggest gripe of the day was with the audio controls on the C300. There were a lot of interviews and some green screen work, shot of a head hight tripod. When the C300 is at eye level the monitor unit ends up just above eye level and the audio controls can only be seen if it’s mounted upright. So the mic ends up pointed at the roof and the LCD is so far up in the air it’s next to useless. The F3′s recorded onto Convergent Designs Gemini’s. This gave the data wranglers a bit of a nightmare as the amount of data uncompressed HD creates is huge, but the pictures do look incredible.
An interesting shoot and it was fun to see each camera operator looking at the other cameras with envious eye’s. Alexa op wanting the light weight of the other cams. C300 op’s wanting the F3′s audio controls and LCD, F3 op’s wanting the C300′s EVF. It just shows that there is no one camera perfect for every application.
5 Comments to Moto GP shoot with Alexa, F3′s and C300′s
Leave a Reply
Most Recent Posts
- Super Slow Motion 480fps Lightning.
- The Grand Canyon, shot with an FS700.
- Canon Launches new C100 AVCHD s35mm camcorder.
- Arizona Storm Shoot Update
- Convergent Design Gemini to Support 4K with the Canon C500.
- What not to pack!
- New Sony NEX-EA50EH shoulder mount 35mm camcorder. Power Zoom lens for FS100 and FS700
- SHort Film/Documentary Workshop in Arizona.
- A to Z Index
- Alister's Bio and Info
- Alister's Blog
- Alister’s Bio and Info
- Alister’s Blog
- Camera Setup
- Contact Me
- Documentary Production Workshops
- Example Video Clips
- How To Videos
- Northern Lights Live 2012
- Once in a Lifetime Northern lights Expeditions to Norway.
- Picture Profile Guide.
- Adaptimax Lens Adapters for PMW-F3
- Alister’s Equipment Reviews A to Z.
- Alphatron EVF-035W Viewfinder Video Review.
- Atomos Samurai
- Camrade cb-single-iii camera bag.
- CamRade WS PMW F3 Rain Cover Review.
- Cineroid HDSDI EVF (EVF-4MSS) review.
- Juice Designs EX1R Baseplate.
- Manfrotto 509 Tripod Head
- NEX-FS700 In Depth Review.
- Review of the Sony PMW-200
- Sonnet QIO Review. Very, Very, Fast Offloads.
- Sonnet SDHC to SxS Camera Adapter.
- Sony FS100 and F3 Video Review
- Sony PVM-740 OLED monitor
- Tilta BS-TS03 Shoulder Mount Review
- Today3D FIZ controller. Focus, Zoom, Iris, Interaxial.
- Transvideo PMW-F3 replacement base assembly.
- Triad PL to E-Mount adapter.
- TVLogic WFM-056WP Monitor/Viewfinder
- Vinten 100 Tripod Review
- Shooting Tips
- Short Film Workshop
- Tech Notes.
- Training and Expeditions
- Ultimate Documentary Production Workshop
- Video Reviews
- Workshops and Training
- alisterchapman on 50 Megabits for the masses, the new Sony PMW-200.
- alisterchapman on The Grand Canyon, shot with an FS700.
- alisterchapman on Alphatron EVF-035W Video Review.
- alisterchapman on Uncompressed 240 fps possible with FS700 and Convergent Design Gemini. Tested!
- alisterchapman on Adaptimax Lens Mount Adapters for PMW-F3, Canon and Nikon.